Croatian plant ID'd by David Dickinson as Caesalpinia gilliesii

• 6 Replies

Jaken

Croatian plant ID'd by David Dickinson as Caesalpinia gilliesii
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
While driving around in Croatia I spotted this odd looking tree. Can anyone help me identify it. About 3 meters high.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:58:10 AM by Alisdair »
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

John J

Re: Unknown plant
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:21:01 PM »
Looks like a Caesalpinia.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
Caesalpina pulcherrima, we call it bird of paradise. It’s a wonderful garden plant. It is totally drought proof when self seeded, as it often is, and can be pruned savagely without complaint.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 01:01:53 AM »
Hi Jaken

It looks like the Caesalpinia gilliesii that I have in my garden. I am not an expert by any means and I have never grown Caesalpinia pulcherrima, though I once got 8 seeds to germinate which all very soon rotted! However, photos on the internet show an orange flower for C. pulcherrima. Does the latter have yellow forms too?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
My mistake David. I was too idle to look at my plant list which is on my PC. The deceits of the iPad!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Jaken

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Thank you all. Seeds purchased :)
Summerhouse with garden in Croatia, Dubrovnik.
Permanent home in Sweden 3000 km from summerhouse...

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
Hi Jaken

Don't forget to look at the list of seeds you can get from the MGS Seed Exchange. Caesalpinia gilliesii seeds are available there. If I remember correctly you are entitled to get up to 10 packs of seeds free as a member. If you contribute seeds you can get up to 15 packets.

If you are not sure where to find the list and instructions etc, go to the MGS home page and just below the large photo at the top of the page you will see a heading "Seed Exchange". First line. to the right. Click on this and it will take you to the current list. Chantal does a wonderful job of coordinating all the seeds that are sent and arranging to get them to you.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.