A plant in Golden Acre Park in Leeds ID'd as Salvia involucrata ‘Bethellii’

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
This looks tropical. Any ideas what it might be?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:56:24 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Caroline

Re: Another plant from Golden Acre Park in Leeds
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:59:51 PM »
Justicia carnea? It is frost-tender, but grows in sheltered positions in NZ.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Another plant from Golden Acre Park in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:53:20 AM »
High Caroline. Thanks for your suggestion. Golden Acre Park got back to me and it turns out to be a salvia - Salvia involucrata ‘Bethellii’. Who would have expected to see that plant in not-too-sunny Leeds! The Estate Manager told me that this plant needs very good drainage in the wet north to survive but it obviously can with the right care.

I grow Justicia carnea here and it gets through winters with a little die back. I take a few cuttings which I put in my little plastic greenhouse just in case we ever have a hard winter. However, it even survived "The Beast from the East" a couple of winters back which took us down to -7°C for 3 or 4 nights running and frozen snow. Perhaps it is tougher than we think.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.