Interesting plant ID'd by David Dickinson as Lobelia tulpa

• 4 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Interesting plant ID'd by David Dickinson as Lobelia tulpa
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:01:04 PM »
Although it was growing, quite happily it seems, in the north of England (Golden Acre Park, Leeds) the leaves suggest it might be at home in warmer, drier climates too. The photo which shows the flower gives the impression that it goes with the leaves to the right of it but the leaves are the ones shown in the first photo.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:54:55 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Any suggestions as to what this might be ...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
When in doubt say salvia. I looked through the gallery of Lefteris’ salvia varieties on the MGS website and couldn’t find a match, but there are so many others...
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
Hi Fleur

It does have something of a Salvia about it, doesn't it. Though I don't remember it having a square stem. In the meantime I have written to Leeds Parks Department asking if they will forward my email to the park's head gardener. Worth a try. Thanks :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I have just been looking at some Lobelia  hybrids and Lobelia x speciosa 'Compliment Deep Red' might be a possibility

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:42:03 AM »
Golden Acre Park got back to me and they inform me that it is a species lobelia, Lobelia tulpa. I am ispired to give it a try as it is from Chile. Some sites on the internet say moist, well-drained soil and others suggest there is some drought resistance. Some say fully hardy, others down to -5°C. Some say evergreen and some say deciduous. All agree on full sun or partial shade. If in doubt, give it a try is what I say. Watch this space in a couple of years' time!