Bismarckia nobilis

• 2 Replies

psroseguy

• Email
Bismarckia nobilis
« on: October 03, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »
I'm attempting to post my first new subject. If this subject has been covered please forgive.

It would be helpful to have a forum search feature.

Also, I've noted photos don't appear when attempting a preview of posts to be made which would be helpful to include as a possible future improvement.

This palm came to my attention as being one favorable to the area here about 20 years ago. It took awhile before I became confident enough to make an acquisition as they still tend to be somewhat expensive.

I planted this one about 15 years ago. If you haven't seen one of these in person it's difficult to appreciate the scale.

I'd estimate the crown to be about 8 meters wide. The fronds are enormous. I have a total of 5 of these on property, They are coming along nicely and are a nice replacement for some Washingtonia robusta palms which I consider weeds and unwelcome intruders here.

As far as I can tell this one appears to be a male, It started flowering a couple of seasons ago and the bees seem quite happy about it.

Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.

John J

Re: Bismarckia nobilis
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:54:14 AM »
There is a forum search feature although it is not obvious. Place your cursor on the circle with what looks like a magnifying glass to the right of the MGS logo and name at the very top of the page and it opens up and says Search.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

psroseguy

• Email
Re: Bismarckia nobilis
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
John, you're kind to reply.

Now that you've pointed it out it is pretty obvious.. I should have been more observant.

That ought to make things much easier.

Thank you, Robert
Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.