Pennisetum Setaceum

• 0 Replies
Pennisetum Setaceum
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:50:01 PM »
I manage a community garden in Atamaria, Costa Calida, Spain. We have had a letter from the Dept. of Environment to say we need to eradicate all Pennisetum Setaceum from the gardens. I understand the reasons for this (invasive and a fire hazard, apparently) but am not entirely sure which varieties we have to remove.

1. Along sandy roads nearby, we have a rough old yellow type on verges, never planted but just there.
2. In our gardens, a green fountain grass still available for purchase in local nurseries.
3. Also a purple fountain grass available in nurseries.

I have been told by central admin. that it is both the yellow rough-tough version and the green fountain grass that have to be removed, but not the purple fountain grass. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, does anyone have advice on how best to eradicate?  I am thinking it  involves digging them up by the roots and then monitoring for any regrowth, since we do not have a problem with new plants popping up via seed dispersal (we are at high altitude and have cold winters).

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, I am new to your site. It is wonderful.

Christine
Here for part of each year, looking after an area of community-owned gardens in Atamaria.