Primulas?

• 0 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Primulas?
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
Autumn 2017 I planted some seeds given to me by my sister in Leeds. She had marked them "yellow flower" with the intention of writing their full name later but never got round to it. I planted them and they looked like some kind of primula. They are still growing strongly and take the full sun/heat really well.

This year a flower stem came up but clearly not that of a primula. As the flowers developed I was less than taken with the result and so decided I would pull the plants up and free up space for something more interesting. I sent photos to my sister asking her what it was and why she kept such a boring plant. She didn't recognise "the weed" at all.

On pulling it up it came away easily in my hand and I realised that it was indeed "a weed" but the leaves of the two plants were so similar that I hadn't noticed. Now I will have to wait until next spring to see if the seedlings are indeed primulas. Any other ideas? I would have expected primulas to frazzle in Roman summer heat.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.