Geum

• 11 Replies

Daisy

Geum
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
Can anybody recommend any geums to try?
I tried Mrs Bradshaw, one of the geums from Chile this year and so far, she is doing well.
She is still a very young plant, so I don't yet have any decent photos of her, but she is bulking up nicely, already.
I would love to try some more. Does anybody grow them?

may 2013 036 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr 

may 2013 043 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Trevor Australis

Re: Geum
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:45 AM »
If you can get LADY STRATHEDEN it is a fine creamy-yellow and reliable. I find the smaller sp and hybrids are too 'alpine' to survive here in summer.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »
By a strange coincidence there is an article about Geums in the Telegraph today. I had always considered them to be unsuitable for me here in Italy, remembering from growing them in England that they liked a moisture retentive environment with some shade. After reading your post Daisy I accessed the article and was interested to learn that the chiloense hybrids, from an island off Chile, are able to tolerate sun, grow taller than the rivale type and flower over a long period just as you are finding in Crete. Now I think I must try to track some down....Always something to learn about plants and gardening, that is what makes it such a fascinating pastime :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
The Flora Nativa for Chile lists two geums, G.magellanicum and G. andicola.  Not sure if these would tolerate sun.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Daisy

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
Thanks Trevor. I will certainly try Lady Stratheden next year.
Umbrian, that is a interesting article in the Daily Telegraph. Did you see  the piece on geums on BBC Gardeners World last week?
The lady who keeps the national collection in Kent, has an informative web site too.

http://www.geumcollection.co.uk/index.html

David, it looks like Geum magellanicum is a bog plant. Chileflora, http://www.chileflora.com/Florachilena/FloraEnglish/EHSearchengine.htm says it needs humid areas with almost constant rainfall.
I am still looking for information on Geum andicola.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
No Daisy, we cannot get BBC TV here but subscribe to The Telegraph on line mainly for the crosswords! but I do find some of the gardening items of interest :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
Not really about geums and the moderators might want to transfer this to another category. However, connected with the latest post in this topic, If you want to see BBC TV go to www.filmon.com

Standard definition is free. High definition costs. Put "UK live TV" into the search facility and all the main channels will come up. You can only see live TV  - there is no record facility unless you pay (I think). Unfortunately, apart from the ads which are being broadcast on the UK channels there is an ad from Filmon every time you change channel.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
Thanks for the info David - I believe you live in Italy? Will give it a try but our internt connection (we are in a very rural location) is not very stable at times and so do not hold out much hope  - perhaps when we move into town it will be better and we can indulge ourselves.

DebbieTeashon

• Rainy Side Gardeners
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
I hope this is ok to bring this older post back up. I couldn't resist weighing in on one of my favorite geums.

Geum 'Mango Lassi' is a stunning perennial, in my not so humble opinion!

First time posting pics, so I hope it posts correctly!
Gardening on the Rainy Side in Washington state. 9 months of rain in the colder months and dry summers.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
I see why you like it, Debbie!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:07 AM »
I know this thread has long been forgotten but I too crave Geums. They have all had varying degrees of failure. All except 'Mrs Bradshaw' who is now in her 3rd year. In a shady spot and still in a pot. I think that I might risk autumn planting in the same spot which the pot inhabits. If dividing is possible, I might try the other bits dotted around in similar spots in the garden.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
They are lovely David. Good luck with the experiment in the Autumn.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.