A plant with a mind of its own

• 1 Replies

John J

A plant with a mind of its own
« on: June 10, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
Capers are notoriously difficult to establish where they are wanted, they much prefer to choose their own location. I saw these today, the first outside our daughter's house and the others along an abandoned road nearby.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: A plant with a mind of its own
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:54:17 AM »
Totally agree on this observation as I am sure many frustrated gardeners will. I tried to establish them in my original garden in Italy with no luck whatsoever, carefully introducing them into dry stone walling  where they would survive for a short time and then just die off. When we moved I was delighted to find quite a few plants growing strongly in the old wall that bounds the front of the property. This year they have been slow to burst into life due to unseasonably low temperatures but thankfully have now started to leaf up. Where they get their sustenance from is impossible to say but I am so grateful to enjoy these unusual plants that enhance an already interesting wall complete with blocked in old arched entrances and a large variety of building materials. I would love to know how long they have been there as we live in the oldest part of the town with Roman remains in the vicinity........
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.