Succulent ID'd by Oron Peri as x Sedeveria 'Letizia'

• 4 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Succulent ID'd by Oron Peri as x Sedeveria 'Letizia'
« on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:53 AM »
I presume it is some form of Sedum. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:33:37 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Can anybody identify this?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:49:51 PM »
David, have you looked at Echeveria and Graptopetalum species?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »
Hi John

I did think about Graptopetalum in particular and will have a more thorough search on the internet and through the books I have. I know there are crosses between Graptopetalum and Sedum too. The original plant was 3 or 4 times bigger and had been thrown out because it was presumably too big. In Rome it is very common for plants to be abandoned once they get to a certain size. It was almost destroyed by the -7°C of the previous winter whereas none of my other sedums batted an eyelid. That might suggest there is Graptopetalum  in there. I have Graptopetalum paraguayense and some Echeveria plants. The latter have a more bell-shaped flower though. I am away in the UK for the next few days but when I get back I'll  start to look deeper. Thanks.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
it is x Sedeveria 'Letizia'
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
Just like there is no point in asking the Beethovens, Schuberts, Mozarts and Haydns of this world how they do it, I won't bore you with that question Oron. I'll simply marvel at your encyclopedic knowledge and even more at your ability to recall it at will and be content with that. Thanks as always  :)