Dry river bed

• 2 Replies
Dry river bed
« on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:55 PM »
Planning to create a dry river bed across my garden on Kos , inspired by Denmans Gardens in Sussex. Do you have any suggestions? I like the idea of shingle and boulders with tumbling rock plants and larger foliage plants going off either side
Will be leaving West Sussex for good as I have Just finished building a house in Kefalos and will be ready to start planning the garden in the Spring with the help of my friend Christine. We would appreciate advice and guidance. I have 1/2 an acre to fill

John J

Re: Dry river bed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:50:39 AM »
This was created in the grounds of a State school in Cyprus by a teacher and members of the Parents Association.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Dry river bed
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »
Lovely idea for an attractive but natural look. I think Euphorbia myrsinites and rigida would look good although referring to another of today's posts they could become too invasive. However young seedlings pull out easily and for me, the year long value of these plants in difficult places, is well worth it.
Good luck with your project - John's photo should spur you on.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:01:04 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.