Iochroma australis

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Iochroma australis
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
Reading about Hilary's success with Nigela sativa seed from Chantal prompted me to thank Chantal too as the first flowers have appeared on my Iochroma australis plant which was grown from seed through the MGS seed bank 2 years ago. Thanks Chantal :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Iochroma australis
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:13:01 AM »
Looking forward to the ones you gave me recently coming into bloom- such lovely flowers both in form and colour. Am pampering them at the moment as we suffer from a return to winter night temperatures and stormy days .
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

Re: Iochroma australis
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
My Iochroma australis that David gave me was given away reluctantly, to the hotel receptionist in Italy as I was unable to carry it in my handbag without killing it. I also gave away my Salvia lyrata 'Purple Knock Out' to Ann Killingback for the same reason but I believe all good deeds get rewarded. At the recent AGM in Spain I was presented with my Salvia. It travelled around Italy then France then to Majorca, Spain and Cyprus where it has been flowering under the Bitter Orange tree. The flowers are not exciting but the foliage is.  Thank you David and Ann.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.