Climber ID'd by Miriam as Periploca sepium

• 9 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Climber ID'd by Miriam as Periploca sepium
« on: May 01, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
Can anyone identify this charming small flowered climber that I bought at the Lucca flower show last autumn- its label has gone missing ....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:49:31 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
I thought I had posted an identification plea and was disappointed when no one replied- perhaps it got lost somehow because as see this latest request says Page 1......
Anyway will try gain with fingers crossed.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: Re: ID please
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
Umbrian,
I saw your request but as I have no idea at all about the  identity of the plant I did 't  reply but you certainly posted your request in the right place.
Maybe everyone was too busy making May Wreaths or collecting the May
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: ID please
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
So did I, but am as nonplussed as Hilary. The flower does look faintly like those of the very dark-flowered pittosporums like P. tenuifolium or P. colensoi, but those are held singly along the twigs - so no help, sorry!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Identification please
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
... you can see what I mean from this photo of Pittosporum ralphii (taken on an MGS trip to Italy in 2006!), even though it's obviously not the same thing.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
I thought the leaves were very similar to the guava but I am not sure about the flowers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »
Thanks everybody - at least I know now the request was posted.
Yes, can see what you mean Alisdair but this is a climber. I am sure I made a list of purchases on returning from Lucca but that is proving elusive to track down and where the label went to an don't know - my resisdent blackbirds play havoc with them but I usually find them somewhere!

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:05:29 AM »
Could it be a Hoya?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Miriam

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »
Looks like Periploca sepium
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 05:47:50 AM »
Thank you so much Miriam- you have ended my misery.
Not surprised it proved difficult as when  I Googled  the name to verify your suggestion the information said it was rare in cultivation so I am doubly pleased to know what my little treasure is. The flowers are very unusual and change considerably as they mature - not particular showy but very interesting. Always nice to have something different and now, as I am gardening in a much smaller space,  climbers are very welcome.