What is it about Verbena bonariensis?

• 26 Replies

John J

Re: What is it about Verbena bonariensis?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
I'm still finding swallowtail caterpillers on my Crithmum!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Quite a lot of seafood places along the North Norfolk coast now cook samphire alongside fish dishes, and it does go particularly well with fish; I've had it in restaurants on the west coast of France, too. We collected some seed from a fine plant of Crithmum maritimum at the exemplary school garden which John Joynes took us to during the MGS meeting on Cyprus, and plants from that are now growing in the unirrigated part of our Greek garden - but we haven't yet started menu planning :P
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
I have been keeping an eye on a pupa in my garage for a while and when I went to get the car out this morning this is what I found.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
Gorgeous!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
How very satisfying, such a lovely creature to emerge from that carefully garaged chrysalis!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
A real beauty you found in your garage!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
I realise that nothing has been posted here for a couple of years but the swallowtails have been at my Crithmum again! The photos show before and after and one of the culprits. >:(

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 12:46:54 AM »
I am reading through all of the entries here green with envy. I get the swallowtails and specially the so-called scarce swallowtails flitting by my balcony regularly - but the Verbena? In my experience it just doesn't like pots. My first attempt gave some success for a season but the plant died before the following spring came round. Young plants, bought from nurseries have never lasted more than a few weeks - even the "Lollipop".  :'(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

nikthegreek

• Email
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
Both Crithmum maritimum (κρίταμο, kritamo) and Salicornia europaea (αρμύρα, armyra) are considered a delicacy in parts of Southern Greece and the islalnds. Kritamo is usually pickled while armyra is lightly boiled and served with olive oil and vinegar or lemon similarly to 'horta'. A great accompaniment with your grilled fish or octapus and ouzo.

Nik

John J

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »
Spotted this morning just emerging. As an added little teaser does anyone recognise the plant that it chose to host its metamorphosis?

Hilary

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
Beautiful butterfly
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 07:43:42 AM »
Forgot about this until it opened a flower this morning. It's Ipomoea carnea ssp fistulosa.