Cicadas

• 2 Replies

John J

Cicadas
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
We seem to be suffering from a plague of these characters this year. In all the years I've been associated with Cyprus I have never seen, or heard, so many of them, they are everywhere. Known locally as Zizzeri due to the sound they make they are deafening. Normally being heard but rarely seen this year we find them on the ground as we walk around, get hit by them as they zoom between the trees, and their empty pupal cases are legion.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Pauline

Re: Cicadas
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Here they're called tzitzikes, presumably for a similar reason. There seems to be the usual population here. The trizonia (the night shift) seem to be in short supply, though. A shame - I like the sound they make.
An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Caroline

Re: Cicadas
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
Here at least cicada numbers go in cycles - low numbers of adult insects means that conditions were bad 6 or 7 years ago when the eggs were laid.  So if you have lots making that deafening (but very summery) noise, I guess it was a good year - whatever that means in cicada terms - a while back.

I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline