Justicia brandegeeana

• 1 Replies

Hilary

Justicia brandegeeana
« on: March 29, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Justicia brandegeeana , Shrimp plant

Now I have a long list of plants, seen and snapped, in the TROPICAL ZONE 2 area of the greenhouse in Madrid near the River Manzanares, at the end of March 2018.

Although i don't find any reference to this plant in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN i am posting it here

This is quite a popular plant  in Corinth and Sparta  always growing in a pot.
I think it needs daily watering
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:01:43 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Justicia brandegeeana
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
There is , or at least was 3 years ago, a large expanse, of this growing in Rome Botanical Garden. This inspired me to try it in a shady spot in my garden. First in a pot but I planted a cutting out 2 years ago. Last winter was bitterly cold for about a week (-7°C at night and around 0°C in the daytime) but the plant survived. This winter has been much milder and, at times, very wet and the plant is thriving and already in flower. I have watered it over the summer months but not every day.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.