Narrow-leaved plant ID'd by Thea and John as Cascabela thevetia

• 5 Replies

Pallas

• Email
Can anyone identify this narrow-leafed plant with orange/yellow flowers? The photos were taken on the AGM trip in October 2018, at the Moroccan tea garden outside Elche.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:46:31 AM by Alisdair »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Charithea

Re: What is this narrow-leaved plant?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
Hi Pallas . I think it is a Thevetia peruviana.  My mother had one years ago.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
My wife is quite correct, except for the fact that it has undergone a name change to Cascabela thevetia.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »
I thought the name sounded familiar.
A post from October 2018

Thevetia peruviana
, sometimes called Yellow Oleander

This stamp was issued by Vietnam in 1977 in an eight stamp series named WILD FLOWERS.

Apparently, as with, Oleander it is very poisonous. 

Thevetia peruviana is mentioned several times in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
I have chosen issue number 30, October 2002 for you to read today
SPAROZA IN SUMMER by Caroline Harbouri
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Narrow-leaved plant ID'd by Thea and John as Cascabela thevetia
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
I remember there was a request for suppliers of this plant a few years back http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=2381.msg16362#msg16362 I wonder if the member, cascabelathevetia , ever found a plant?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Pallas

• Email
Re: Narrow-leaved plant ID'd by Thea and John as Cascabela thevetia
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »
Thank you Charithea and John for IDing this plant! Isn't it irritating with the name changes? I know it's more accurate and I am duly grateful for recent science, but it does give everyone the runaround!

Re suppliers, I have never seen this plant for sale in any of the nurseries here, nor in any parks or gardens. Odd, as I think it ought to do well here. I am keeping an eye out and will post information if I ever find a source.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:33:15 AM by Pallas »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.