Tropical plant with bright leaves ID'd by David Dickinson as Iresine herstii

• 3 Replies

Hilary

Shocking pink leaves
On our visit to a greenhouse in Madrid last year there were so many flowers to snap that I got rather tired.
I have this photo of a plant with bright leaves and stalks and a photo of the identification notice.
The photo of the notice is extremely blurred.
This plant was in the TROPICAL part of the green house
Can anyone put a name to this plant/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:35:31 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Tropical plant with bright leaves
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
It looks like what I used to call Beef-steak Plant. Looking that up gave the scientific name Iresine herstii and that looks like it could be the name written on the plant label. What the variety name is, I can't work out.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:33:11 AM »
There is reference to a variety 'Wallisii' here http://www.igarden.com.au/plant-type.jsp?t=Iresine Could that be it?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:09:44 AM »
Many thanks  David .

Now that you have told me the name I can make out the information on the, out of focus, notice

Family Amaranthaceae
Origin Brasil
Common name  Iresine
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care