Rejuvenating old roses

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Rejuvenating old roses
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:05:42 AM »
On moving to a new house I inherited two wonderfully scented old climbing roses. They had been neglected and a pale pink one , with a main stem -"trunk"of 5cm diameter produced little new growth and few flowers. After two or three years of medium pruning, being afraid I might kill the whole thing I decided last autumn to cut it right down into the main stem. I was pleased to see one new shoot just below the cut during the winter but now am amazed to report that it is shooting not only all along the
"trunk" but also throwing up 6 strong new shoots from the base -
Am looking forward to choosing the strongest to form a new framework.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Speedozz

Re: Rejuvenating old roses
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »
Hi Umbrian,

After a drastic prune like that in relatively unknown conditions, I might be tempted to leave as much of the new growth on as possible for a couple of years, to allow the plant to produce as much food for itself as it can. Obviously fertilise the plant, but to take into account that whilst getting back on its feet, a good amount of leaves on top should equal the amount of new root growth below.

Patrick

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Rejuvenating old roses
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
Thank you for your comments Patrick. I am afraid I have already taken off one or two shoots that were growing outwards as the Rose is in a narrow strip of soil adjoining a path.  I will heed your advice now though as I am no expert on roses and had not considered the points you made. The remaining new growth is strong and healthy and some much needed rain arrived this week that can only help as the soil alongside this narrow wall border gets very dry although I suppose the roots of the Rose are deep enough to find moisture further afield.
Will keep you informed and many thanks again!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.