Gaura

• 32 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Gaura
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »
Hi Charithea,
that's good news about the gauras getting established in your garden.
It took us a few years to get ours going and now they are self-seeding.
A couple of years ago I found a plant with pure white flowers, without the pink shading in the sepals or calyx. Sadly the cuttings I got died but this season I found the hardware store in Bendigo had it in their nursery section as tubestock! We got it too late to plant out before summer so I hope we can keep it going till it's cool enough to get it into the ground,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
Fermi the pure white is very striking. I will of course be content with the colours  I have. Later perhaps when I am comfortable with the success of the gauras I might search for a pure white one. I am an optimist. I am still waiting for my seeds to arrive from Sydney. They were posted by my nephew  a while ago. That is something else to experiment with.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 08:07:44 AM »
I agree, the pure white Gaura is very striking. I saw some late last year at the Lucca flower show but the price was so exorbitant to my mind that I resisted the temptation. Hopefully I will find  some more reasonably priced ones this year. The plants were very healthy looking and seemed more compact than usual with shorter flowering stems....I wonder if this is because they were pampered to perfection for the show or that will be their natural form?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.