Cover Drawings of the Journal

• 172 Replies

Hilary

Re: Cover Drawings of the Journal
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »
The Cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 45, July 2006 is by John Jefferis and shows a view of the “threshing floor” at Sparoza looking towards Mt. Hymettus 

There are six articles in this issue of the journal all about Sparoza and luckily there is a website where you can see some photos and read some of the text 

http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/sparoza-intro.html

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 49, July 2007  is a drawing   by Eric Hsu of Le Clos du Peyronnet.
The drawing is based on a photograph supplied by Melanie Dawe

In the same journal there is an article by Melanie Dawe entitled
ON THE FRENCH RIVIERA and again the drawings are by Eric Hsu based on photos supplied by Melanie Dawe

See THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY website for photographs of Le Clos du Peyronnet and Serre de la Madone
http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/49-riviera.html
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2021, 10:05:55 AM »
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 50, October 2007 is of Lou Capitani by Megan Toms

In the same journal there is an article by Kate Marcelin-Rice
LOU CAPITANI:
MAKING A DRY GARDEN IN PROVENCE

For photographs of this garden see THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY website
http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/50-capitani.html
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
The cover drawing of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 63, January 2011 of Valerie Whittington’s garden is by Freda Cox

In the same journal you can read
DESIGNING AND WORKING WITH THE NATURAL LANDSCAPE IN CRETE
By Valerie Whittington

There are many photos of this garden here

http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/63-crete.html
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 78, October 2014 is of Les Roches Rouge (Massif de l’Esterel), is by Gabriel Rochard

Gabriel Rochard has also contributed some articles to THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
I thought you might like to read

LEARNING ABOUT ROSE MAINTENANCE AT GIARDINI BOTANICI HANBURY
Journal   number 76, April 2014

MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2021, 10:44:14 PM »
Thanks for this Hilary. I just did a search on the internet for the garden and on their web pages they have a section which gives a list of plants that bloom for them month by month. Expecting to find one or two ideas for adding colour to some of the darker months I was amazed to find a list as long as your arm just for January. Anybody starting a mediterranean garden from scratch or wishing to add a splash of colour to an existing garden could well use this resource as a good starting point.

https://www.giardinihanbury.com/en/garden/blooms-month

Thanks again :-)

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2021, 08:33:12 AM »
Amazing
The list of flowering plants for January is ten pages long!
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2021, 09:53:01 AM »
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 79. January 2015 is by Julie-Amadea Pluriel and is entitled ‘Shade’

In the same journal there is an article by Julie- Amadea Pluriel

THE MASSIF DE CRUSSOL:
AN OUTPOST OF THE MEDITERRANEAN
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2021, 08:51:10 AM »
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 81, July 2015 depicts Pines in Italy and is by Winifred Townshend

Looking for an article about Italy which mentions pine trees I found
 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2015,
ISCHIA: THE MAIN PROGRAMME
By Edith Haeuser
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 83 January
see
http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/83-agm.html
For photographs

This time I was lucky enough to find a photo of pines in Italy in my archives, taken in October 2003,  the garden of the  Palazzo Pfanner in Lucca, Italy
MGS member

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
I love the sunset glow on the pines in the convent grounds behind my little garden. The photo was taken before "The Beast from the East" came and left having taken the tall euphorbia you see in the photo with it :-(

You may also be interested to know that the Italian composer Respighi composed a trilogy of symphonic poems based on the eternal city; The Fountains of Rome, Roman Festivals and, yes you have guessed correctly, The Pines of Rome performed here by an excellent youth orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgyfqzLC0A&feature=emb_logo
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:54 PM »
Thank you David for the link. I had not heard of him before.  I enjoyed the music.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2021, 12:20:53 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it. I hadn't really thought about it before but the second part of the symphonic poem is entitled "Pines of the Catacombs" . The pines in my photo are directly above the Catacombs of San Marcellino and San Pietro and they extend for several kilometers underground. https://www.santimarcellinoepietro.it/english/ I look over my back wall onto The Mausoleum of Helena Augusta and, as tradition went, there would have been 2 laurel trees at the entrance to it. My street is Via dei due Allori (Street of the 2 Laurels). Nowadays, The Mausoleum is a refuge for the kestrels when the crows mob them. And the little owls are often to be heard screeching from there at dusk.

As you can see my "garden" is mostly the concrete roof of the catacombs. So, I have to use graded-size tubs to create the illusion of a border. Not quite the real thing, but... necessity is the mother of all invention. I use black garden bins and builders' mixing trays with holes drilled in them as pots. Much cheaper than pots. There are quite a few salvias in the photos, so a legitimate posting in this thread.

Hilary

« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
David thanks for the link to the music . I had never heard it before

Your garden is amazing with everything in pots
MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
David, you certainly live in a 'historic area'.  Your certainly have talent to created a garden that looks so good.  The music associated with the pines was wonderful so perhaps  we should have a thread about plants and music. We have a Cypriot folk song called 'O voskos' translation 'the goatherd'. He greets the pines, poplars and the ever green myrtles and tells them he envies their long lives while he faces old age. Of course he does not think of wild fires or boring beetles.. It is played on the harp by Diana Rowan  and the other with the lyrics in the Cyprus dialect by   Christopher Sikkis on a bamboo flute.. It is on u tube.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2021, 09:18:07 AM »
The cover illustration for THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 91, January 2018
is of MELITENSE, the Maltese Quarry Garden at the 2017 Chelsea Flower Show, and is by Helen Thomas

In the same journal you can read
MELITENSE -THE MALTESE QUARRY GARDEN FOR M&G CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW 2017 by James and Helen Basson

For photographs of the Maltese Quarry Garden see THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY website 

http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/91-basson.html
MGS member