Cover Drawings of the Journal

• 6 Replies

Hilary

Cover Drawings of the Journal
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
I thought to snap the front covers of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, at least the ones with botanical drawing of plants, as opposed to drawings showing gardens. I was going to use these photos together with a postage stamp and hopefully a photo of the flower depicted on the stamp. However, today I came across  the cover drawing by Julie – Amadea Pluriel of Globularia alypum issue number 87, January 2017.

By coincidence I sent a photo of this flower to my friends this morning. We saw the plant by the roadside on our way back from Titani a couple of weeks ago

Not having a stamp depicting this plant but wanting to use the photo of the cover I have started a new thread
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

Re: Cover Drawings of the Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
Well done, Hilary! Great idea. We saw this plant growing on a rock face in Morocco on a MGS trip there in 2014.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:06:21 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »
Brilliant idea Hilary- shall look forward to following it.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:49:03 PM »
How ingenious of you Hilary.  Thank you.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 07:56:53 AM »
I have decided to post on this thread on  Saturdays giving you all plenty of time to add your photos of the depicted plant

Today I am posting the cover of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 47, January 2007

Ricinus communis and grasshopper by Megan Toms

I took the photos  of Ricinus communis growing on a piece of waste ground, here in Corinth, a few years ago.
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:10 AM »
Rudbeckia
The cover illustration of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 53, July 2008,  is of Rudbeckia by Freda Cox

I am lucky enough to have several photos of this plant

One photo was taken on a very hot day oaf July 2011 in Madrid. This plant was identified for me by the Forum of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY as Rudbeckia hirta Goldilocks

The close up is of Rudbeckia 'Little Gold Star’ seen at a garden center somewhere in the wilds of Essex in September,  2013

The third photo was taken in the garden of Hyde Hall in September 2015

MGS member

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
Hi Hilary, I have forgotten to mention that I saw the most beautiful speciment of Globularia alypum last Saturday at Sparoza.  There was also one in Philodassiki Botanic Garden. I asked if they had any for sale but unfortunately the reply was no.  I did not leave empty handed though.  Rudbeckia , today's  photos are also very desirable.  I have bought many packets of seeds. A few years ago something germinated and grew and one kept regrowing for about 3 years but alas that died too.  I will try again Sometime!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:12:34 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.