Cover Drawings of the Journal

• 172 Replies

Hilary

Re: Cover Drawings of the Journal
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »
The cover drawing for THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 67, January 2012 is by John Jefferis and is of an olive tree near Ancient Corinth

Last Sunday, a lovely sunny day, I asked my husband to take me to Xylokeriza as I ‘needed’ some photos of olive trees, not realizing that I would ‘need’ this photo quite so soon. You can see Acrocorinth; which is near Ancient Corinth as you all know, looming in the distance at the end of the olive grove. 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2020, 07:20:35 AM »
Pulsatilla vulgaris

The cover drawing for THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 72, April 2013 is by Megan Bozkurt

The photos of Pulsatilla vulgaris were taken in The Poison Garden at The Alnwick Garden, April 2009

Pulsatilla vulgaris is mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN in
 MOVING HOUSE by Freda Cox
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 42, October 2005
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2020, 08:54:59 AM »
Tortoise

The drawing on the back cover of the very first THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN was drawn by Derek Toms as were the text illustrations.

One of my friends has an enclosed garden where any amount of tortoises enjoy a carefree life. When they reach a good size she takes them to some tortoise idyllic area in the countryside. The babies and young ones  are kept in her garden where they gorge on nasturtium  plants and any of her other plants they can reach . It becomes a problem during the summer when they have eaten all the leaves within their reach.

The first photo is of an old member of the tortoise family enjoying a dried up fig. The second photo was taken this February when the tiny tortoise hung around to have its photo taken but the larger one, probably a tortoise teenager, dashed off into the undergrowth 

MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »
It has just occurred to me that I haven't recommended and article, which mentions tortoises, to read in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
Go to issue number 97, July 2019 and read
REMEMBERING  A GARDEN ON A GREEK HILLSIDE - SPAROZA 1979-80: PART 4
SPRING  by Graham Kendall
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2020, 06:25:02 AM »
Sunflower and Goldfinch

The cover drawing of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 82, October 2015 is by Barney Shaw.

The sunflowers in the photos come up every year next to a tree in the pavement here in Corinth

Helianthus, Sunflower is mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 46, October 2006 in
OF CANNAS AND BANANAS:
THE ORIGENS OF THE SUBTROPICAL GARDEN\
By Eric Hsu

MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »
That looks like an annual one, Hilary; maybe a guerilla gardener putting seeds in every year?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
Yes maybe, but then why doesn't he put seeds near all the trees in the pavement round his house.?
By the way the trees were planted by the home owner not the department of the town council responsible for Αστικό πράσινο. Urban greenerry? I am afraid I don't know what the expression is in English
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2020, 06:01:57 AM »
Lilium candidum, Madonna Lily

The cover drawing of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 97, July 2019 is by  Veronica Hadjiphani-Lorenzetti

I lifted this photo of Madonna lilies from THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY’s Facebook page. The photo was posted on August 16th 2017 and shows lilies growing in the Sardinian garden of Maurizio Usai

The photo of the seed pods was taken in July 2012 in Sparta

Lilium candidum is mentioned in
SOME MUST-HAVE BULBOUS PLANTS
FOR MEDITERRANEAN GARDENS
By Oron Peri
In THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 82, October 2015
MGS member

TROPICBIRD

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
I have decided to post on this thread on  Saturdays giving you all plenty of time to add your photos of the depicted plant

Today I am posting the cover of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 47, January 2007

Ricinus communis and grasshopper by Megan Toms

I took the photos  of Ricinus communis growing on a piece of waste ground, here in Corinth, a few years ago.
Lovely idea Hilary ! Super photos ! Lilian, Cyprus.  xx

Hilary

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2020, 06:53:10 AM »
Twenty acorns

The cover drawing of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 77, July 2014 is by Veronica Hadjiphani-Lorenzetti

I don't  know if there are twenty acorns in the drawing  but I can tell you that the photo  I am posting was taken in September 2013 when in a park in Harold Wood  East Greater London.

To read about WALKING AMONG THE OAKS OF KEA by Alexander Seferiades go to
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 88. April 2017
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »
THE LOGO OF THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY

The logo, designed by Derek Toms I believe, was at first to be found on the title page of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN.
Later it was decided to use it also on the back cover of the journal and it first appeared there in the July issue number 25, 2001

The logo depicts a Greek pithos and an acanthus mollis plant, Bear’s breeches, both often seen in Mediterranean gardens.

I have just read a short piece in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 69, July 2012. SNIPPETS ON PLANT NAMES by John Joynes about acanthus and the logo of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY

Now I don’t have a useful photo of an acanthus in front of a pithos. However, I do have a photo of ancient pithoi taken at Knossos in 1966. I am sure everyone who has been to Knossos has a photo of these large jars.
The photo of acanthus mollis was taken here in Corinth a few years ago

Just to round off this post here is a photo of the Corinthian capital of the fallen column at the Temple of Olympian Zeus in Athens. In 1965.
The second photo of the column shows how it is today, you can’t get anywhere near it
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2020, 06:30:15 AM »
Daucus carota, Wild carrot, Queen Anne’s lace 

The illustration on the cover of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN 99, January 2020 in is by Veronica Hadjiphani-Lorenzetti

I don’t have a photo of the seed head but I do have one of the flower

Chantal Guiraud mentions the seeds of this plant in
 THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 67, January 2012
SEEDS FROM MALLORCA AND THE COSTA BLANCA
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2020, 06:15:44 AM »
The cover illustration for THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 28, April 2002 was drawn by Nicholas Stavroulakis.
Unfortunately, there is no title to this drawing

However, since Mr. Stavroulakis wrote two articles about A Rabbinical Garden in Hania, Crete I can only suppose the drawing is of this garden
THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 19, Winter 2000
A RABBINICAL GARDEN: PART 1

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 20, April 2000
A RABBINICAL GARDEN: PART 2
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2020, 08:26:41 AM »
Hilary, it was indeed that garden; the late Mr Stavroulakis showed it to us, looking a lot more orderly, a few years ago, during the MGS AGM which was held in Chania, Crete.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2020, 07:29:30 AM »
Referring to the post of 11th April featuring the wild carrot - Daucus carota - I found this plant very useful in my first, big Mediterranean garden. It would seed freely but was never a problem if caught early being easy  to pull out despite having a tap root. It can grow quite tall but is never really obtrusive having an airy overall appearance with finely dissected leaves and white umbels of flowers that enhance, rather than detract from anything it is near. An added pleasure for me was pulling out a plant to prove it was indeed a wild carrot when visitors asked what it was........only when they smelled the unmistakable carrot smell of the thin, pale, wiry root did they believe me.
Many fields left fallow here are beautiful when colonised by Draucus carota growing freely with Cichorium, a mist of white and blue amongst the grasses.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.