Aeonium arboreum

• 3 Replies

John J

Aeonium arboreum
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
A nice bright sight on a sunny, but distinctly chilly and windy, morning.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

Re: Aeonium arboreum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 06:45:49 AM »
Aeonium arboreum

Another plant which I re potted last year. In fact, there are several cuttings in the pot which I might or might not plant separately.
Again, this plant was given to me as a cutting which became rather big even though I gave away many cuttings over the years.

The first two photos are of the plant producing many flowers in December 2008 and the last photo is of the ‘new’’ plant.

To read about my experiences with Aeonium go to
 THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 25, July 2001

Having reread the article, it took me back to Israel and Kythera both in the year 2000. John Jefferis drew the drawing of the Aeonium based on a photo I had supplied. Later he sent us the drawing which is now gracing the wall of what is known as the Boys’ room.

Dashing to the photo albums I found the photo of the Aeonium growing on Mount Tabor and the photo of the dried-up plants at Kato Chora, Kythera

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:40 AM »
A friend gave me a huge piece of this plant last autumn when leaving his house in Italy to return to the UK for the winter. He is really no gardener and was given several large pots of them by a neighbour whom, at that point, he was unsure would take them back for winter care. "You've got green fingers " he said , "here take a piece"  breaking off a long twisty piece. How could I refuse.... I knew nothing about the plant and have little interest in succulents ( sorry  those of you who love them) but took off one new rosette and planted it up. The large twisting stem I just left on a table in the protected area where I overwinter vulnerable plants. There it sat looking much the same as when given to me but then I noticed  it actually seemed to be growing- elongating at the tip and before long I realised it was producing what would be flowers. Sure enough I was eventually amazed to see the beautiful long lasting inflorescence of yelllow flowers that this plant produces as seen in the photos of this topic. I felt rather guilty at treating it so poorly but the  piece I potted up has grown strongly and so I shall have something to offer my friend if he manages a visit this year.....and I have learnt about a new plant that I have to admit is quite spectacular when in flower 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
Our Aeonium patch taken this morning and a cutting of 'Zwartkopf' that we got last year and is establishing.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)