What is this? - NOW SOLVED

• 12 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
What is this? - NOW SOLVED
« on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »
Haven't had one of those for a long time - not a lot of inspiration in the garden at the moment - grey, cold and snow about - so I thought I would try this. Not a very good 'photo I am afraid but that might add to the puzzle.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:38:25 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »
Are they Alder cones in the snow?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
Sorry Hilary but no......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
Carole the picture reminds me of 'Things' growing on trees in the Spring time in England. Could it be the beginning of leave  buds on a Weeping Willow.  Sorry if I am a bit vague.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Sorry but no to you as well,Charithea- other end of the year and of a plants's life cycle....

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:13 PM »
Toadstools, still expanding.
Perhaps an ink cap, Coprinus comatus.
//Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:28 AM »
Sorry way off a Mike - but nice to see some old faithfulls responding.....a little clue before I reveal the answer.....To quote from an old song " The answer my friend is blowing in the wind..."

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »
I'd say pussy willow catkins, but I don't get the dark covering that is breaking-up as the things expand. Intriguing!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »
Don't put us out of our misery yet,now that we have another clue
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
Anemone seedheads?
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »
Well done Fermi - spot on. When I noticed them the other week I rather regretted having cut down most of the flowering stems during an autumn clean up.  Anemone japonica featured strongly in gardens from my childhood but attempts to grow them in my original garden in Italy were a failure. When we moved I brought a small sickly survivor with me and it relished the better soil and shadier position I was able to offer it.. now it is almost too prolific and I am having to curb it .

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: What is this? - NOW SOLVED
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:16:16 PM »
Good eye, Fermi!
Mike

Fermi

• Email
Re: What is this? - NOW SOLVED
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 05:03:47 AM »
Good eye, Fermi!
Actually a good clue because anemones are also called “wind-flowers “
 ;D
cheers
fermi
currently in the very un-Mediterranean Goa!
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!