Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2019, 10:32:13 AM »
There have been several roses named 'Sylvia' through the ages but more about this one can be found here https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.16733.2
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.38898 gives some information about today's rose which is 'Tequila'
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
I love the colour
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:54 PM »
Welcome back David.  Yes,  the colour is lovely Hilary. I am broadening my horizons colour wise.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
The label in the Rose Garden, Rome for this rose reads "'Ursula' Germania". There are one or two possible candidates here https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?searchNmTyp=5&searchNm=ursula&rid=4072&sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=1

David Dickinson

• Email

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2019, 03:02:35 PM »
The rose for today, one of the last as I am coming to the end of the alphabet, is 'Victor Hugo'. More here https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5682.2&tab=1

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
The photographs here (apart from the one of a chrysanthemum of the same name) https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.42884.1&tab=1 do more justice to this rose than mine. 'Ville de Caen'.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »
"Virgo for today. https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6445

This will be the last posting of a named rose as I have now come to the end of those I photographed last October. There are over a thousand roses in the Rome Rose Garden but it is closed over the summer so there won't be any opportunity to get more photos until the autumn.

I remember saying at the beginning of this thread that I didn't know how much summer watering the roses got. I passed by (outside) a few days ago and it would seem that the area gets a regular watering judging by the condition of the lawns around the flower beds.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
Thanks very much for this great series, David! (And we all look forward to some new discoveries from you, when you get round to the Rose Garden again in the autumn....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
Thank you David for all the lovely roses. Some had such amazing colour that almost tempted me to go and order them. I held fast but I am looking forward to some more in the autumn. Perhaps you could photograph some Salvias that do well in your area? 
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and I am glad that you liked some of the roses. Many of the photos I took no doubt did not do the roses full justice. In my last posting I wrote "This will be the last posting of a named rose" (my emphasis here) because there is one photo of such a beautiful rose which, however, I do not have the name for. I left the possibility of sending it open even though a photograph of an un-named rose is of little use to anybody. But it is beautiful to look at all the same, so here it is. This really will be the last - at least for a while.