Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
'Meiroruro' is another rose of which I can find little information. It is mentioned as the prize winner "Premio per l’arredo urbano
1° Richardier, Meilland (Francia) var. MEIroruro"
at Monza, 2012 here http://www.rosemania.it/?p=1619.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2019, 01:01:55 AM »
A little more information about today's rose, 'Modern Art' here http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.4345
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »
Now on to the Ns with 'Neige Parfum' https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.47622.1

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2019, 01:53:24 AM »
'Nirperfu' for today, a rose from www.nirpinternational.com in 2010. But no information on the web pages which are being updated.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - NIRPerfu
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »
David, according to the World Rose News NIRPerfu was judged the best rose overall, in the 2010 Rome rose trials.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »
Thanks Alisdair. Certainly is an attractive rose, at least to my taste in roses.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »
Rose 'Nostalgie' with, it has to be said, not one of the best photographs. However, there are lots of references to this rose with much better photographs on the internet, including this one http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.32401

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »
'Notturno' for tonight.  http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.24861.0 for more photos and some info.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2019, 12:53:26 AM »
Onto "O" in the alphabet now with 'Osiana'. More here https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4608.1&tab=1

John J

« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
If I can leap into your thread, David, our Damask roses are coming into their own following the rain we've had this winter.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 12:32:33 AM »
I can't believe how much time has passed since I last posted  a rose - thanks John for keeping things going. Apart from the colour, your rose looks very much like the artichokes which are on sale here in Rome at the moment. Large and spherical. Here is the rose for today, Rose "Papillon" with more info here www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4644.0&tab=1  :-)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 12:34:12 AM »
And with the photo this time! :)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »
'Parfum de Nuit' and some more information here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.42917.0 Let's see if I can remember to attach the photo first time round ths time!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
'Pastella' for today. More here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37041 Pastella means "batter" in Italian - in the food sense. Maybe because of its colour or maybe nothing to do with the Italian word at all?

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2019, 12:21:47 AM »
My photo of 'Paul Ricard' doesn't show the rose in full bloom so there are more photos here http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.4686