Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2019, 02:11:50 AM »
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.69116.2&tab=1 gives some information about today's rose 'LandLust'
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
Very lovely colour. London is sunny but does not have the spring flowers which abound  now in Cyprus.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »
'La Petit Prince' and some information too at https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.47328.0
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
I was hoping to find a rose with a name related to Valentine or some derivative but no luck. So here is today's rose in the usual alphabetical order, a beautiful rose nonetheless,  'Lapural'.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
'Leo Ferré' for today with some further information here: https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.43270.0

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
The San Remo music festival has just finished here in Italy and here is a Rose by the same name. Not a good photo I am afraid but it gives an idea of what the rose looks like. 'Luci di San Remo'

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
'Madame Anisette' with some more information here: https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.69540.0

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
After San Remo another "Italian theme" rose for today, 'Marco Polo'. More information here: http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/pl.php?n=4099

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2019, 04:21:17 AM »
For today "Marie Curie" of which, more here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.18386

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2019, 01:22:06 AM »
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=19817 gives some information about Rose 'Martine Guillot' which is today's rose.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.6245.1&tab=1 gives more information and a much better photo of 'The McCartney Rose' which was decidedly past its best when I photographed it in the Rome Rose Garden!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2019, 01:04:31 AM »
'Meicellie' is the next of the roses beginning with 'M'. I found this on the web. https://www.airosa.it/concorso/2005/concorso2005.htm

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2019, 01:03:09 AM »
Another mystery rose for today. All I can find about 'Meilapiazel' is that, according to the label in the garden, it is a Richardier 2009 rose.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »
Apparently Meilapiazel won the 2009 Fragrance Prize at the Bagatelle's new varieties rose show, sweeping the board as it also won the public's and the children's fragrance prizes there. It was reported to have a very very appealing scent, reminiscent of raspberries and lychees - and to have beautifully shaped buds. There are a couple of photos of it on the Bagatelle's website, but Michèle Richardier-Meilland doesn't seem to have put it into production.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
Thanks for that information Alisdair.  :) For today here is 'Meilouvea'. Another Richardier rose which is elusive.