Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:33 AM »
"Judit! is the name of this one. The label indicates its origin as Romanian and there is a reference t Wagner too. But I can find no further reference to this rose.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 02:42:29 AM »
To start the 'Ks' we have 'Karen Blixen'. A little more about the rose can be found here https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3578.0
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
What a lovely rose. Lovely enough to start off the day. I must be off to do some more grouting.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »
Lovely Rose  with an interesting name. Looks as if it is as strong as the person it was named after.....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
Another rose presumably named after someone. 'Katie Gordon'. A very quick search on the internet came up with nothing. Work is calling me so I can't look any further at the moment. However, if I do find any more information, I'll post the link.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2019, 12:02:01 AM »
As the name suggests, something a little smaller for today. 'Kleiner Ritter'. A little info here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.76425.0

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »
"Kordes' Jubilee" is the next in line. Basic info here: https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.67219.0

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2019, 02:45:13 AM »
Another "mystery" rose for today, 'Korlausblas'. The label shows this name and the supplier (breeder?) as Kordes, Germany.  They can be found here https://www.kordes-rosen.com/ but there is no sign of this rose.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2019, 02:58:31 AM »
'Korunrok' is another rose listed under Kordes but with no trace of it either on their German or Italian site. There is mention of 'KORunrok' as one of the parents of another rose, 'Soul Sister', here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.67470

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2019, 03:02:53 AM »
Sorry, a correction. The new hybrid I refer to immediately above as 'Soul Sister' is, in fact, named 'KORconvent'.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2019, 08:54:05 AM »
David, one or two other sites very briefly mention Korunrok as a cream apricot floribunda which won a Rome prize in 2004.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »
Certainly is a nice colour and form, Alisdair. I'm not surprised it won a prize. The prize giving in Rome is around June when the gardens are open to the public. Thanks for the extra information  :)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2019, 03:21:10 AM »
I must say that the rose that I photographed, 'La Belle Rouge', and the photo in the link look like very different roses. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.32837.0

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2019, 09:28:15 AM »
The picture of it here https://rozenvrienden.be/pdf/Nieuwsbrief%20juli-augustus%202018.pdf looks much more like your picture, David - maybe it's just that real life is a bit different from its publicity pictures!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
I think you are right Alisdair. A bit like comparing me first thing in the morning when I look at myself in the mirror and what miracles can be achieved in selfies with just the right amount of lighting and a well-chosen angle. Here is the last rose for a couple of days as I am away to Naples this evening for a break. 'La Feiullerie' with some information here http://helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.65571