Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
Certainly looks much more yellow in Poulsen's photo, doesn't it. http://www.poulsenroser.com/assortment/rose-collections/national-parks/ecrins.aspx
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 02:11:29 AM »
Rose 'Elle' for today.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2018, 02:54:11 AM »
I don't seem to be having much luck with the rose photos I have been trying to post recently. The roses look very different in the catalogues than they do in the Rose Garden. Here is a case in point. The official website of 'Eureka' shows a yellow rose, so the one I photographed must have been sun-bleached or washed out by the rain.

https://meilland.com/en/catalogue/eureka-meizambaizt/

Enjoy it anyway :-)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
It's really good to see them in real life - and that Eureka still looks very pretty!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
Today's rose is also a bit of a mystery. 'Evebicol' doesn't come up on an internet search except as a posting in a blog which may also be useful for those searching for roses suitable for mediterranean climates http://neusnogue.blogspot.com/2017/06/el-roserar-del-parc-de-cervantes-de.html. The supplier is the same there as it is of the rose in Rome but an internet search doesn't bring up anything for that supplier.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
The photo I took of today's rose, 'Everati', is hopelessly out of focus. In trying to find a better one on the web I came across this site which may be of interest to readers in Italy or elsewhere https://www.airosa.it/regine.asp?id=14&title=Regine%20d'Europa

This is the last rose I have whose name begins with "E".  So, a good place to take a break for Christmas and New Year as I shall be in the UK for 2 weeks from today. Hope you all have a good time over the holidays.   :)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
I am back in Italy and back to work so it is time to pick up where I left off on this thread. Hope everyone had a good time over the break. Today I start 2019 on the letter "F" with "Fanfare". What could be a more appropriate name than that?

Charithea

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
Welcome back to you and your roses David.  Our rambling rose,  named by the nursery as Banksia with thorns and much bigger blooms then the normal ones, are in flower. They are too high to photograph but soon the lower branches will have  ones and we shall post photos. The rains have done miracle as the other roses from Northen Greece are full of fresh green leaves and flower buds too.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2019, 01:58:37 AM »
Thanks Charithea for your welcome back and good to hear that your roses are doing well after your recent rains. Today we have "Fanny Ardant". Hope you and other readers like it.

Charithea

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »
Very beautiful, soft coloured rose.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
Next up is "First Blush", Don't know about you but my first blush was many moons ago.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »
Today's rose is "Flash"

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2019, 12:45:11 AM »
'Fragrance des Jardins' brings "F" to a close

Charithea

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »
Very inviting colour David.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
It is a nice pink, isn't it Charithea. Today's rose, 'Gartenpass' is a little more subdued but I like it all the same.