Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 02:54:40 AM »
Here is "Colijn" which is darker than the "Chewjackbelt".
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
Very similar to the last rose, today we have 'Commandant Cousteau'
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 01:31:04 AM »
For your delectation today, we have 'Damaya'.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2018, 02:27:23 AM »
And 'The Dark Lady' follows as today's rose.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2018, 02:40:08 AM »
Hi Fleur

Looking at the last 2 postings, I thought I had posted 2 different pictures of the same rose but with different names. I haven't as it turns out but while looking up the 2 roses concerned I came across this: https://www.rose.it/rose/rose-inglesi/golden-celebration-ausgold which might just fit the bill for the big yellow rose you are looking for? Sounds like it grows very big in mediterranean type climates. Just an idea, I have no personal  experience of it. Although the link is to an Italian page, if you like the look of it I am sure you will be able to find something in other languages on the internet.

Charithea

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
Thank you David for the rose site. Fleur the Abraham Darby is irresistible.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
'Deborah' is today's rose.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
Strange coincidence today. The posting is late because I had an Irish friend visiting. The name of today's rose is an Irish name 'Delaney Sister' a different looking rose to the last 2 or 3 which looked very similar to each other.

Hilary

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
I love to start my day with one of your rose photos. A delicate pink rose today, thanks
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
I agree with Hilary, David! You might be interested in this Wikipedia note on the Delany sisters, who were the remarkable (and very long-lived) daughters of the first Black man to be made a bishop of the US Episcopal Church - no doubt the very popular book titled The Delany Sisters which was published in 1993 encouraged the hybridiser Benjamin Williams to name his best rose after them, though the rose was not marketed until the year after his death. Apparently Mr Williams had met both sisters.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 03:09:16 AM »
Thanks to all who have commented on these postings. The article was interesting Alisdair and the sisters sound like very characterful women. It prompted me to double check the label of the rose in the Rome Rose Garden which reads 'Delaney Sister' rather than the plural. This is clearly an error as the rose comes up as 'Delaney Sisters' on google search.

For today there is 'Dornoar'. Trying to find this rose on the internet, I came up with nothing. Interestingly though, the auto suggestion offered me "rosa dornoar dorieux francia" which is exactly what is written on the label in the Rose Garden. Still no web pages came up, however. A mystery.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Thank you David, Thea and Caroline for your suggestions. I went to the English growers looking for some of them but they were so expensive! £23 for a bare root rose seemed exorbitant to me. My young gardener scolded me or even thinking of importing from  the UK so instead I tried Thea’s nursery in northern Greece and bingo lots of lovely yellow and gold roses properly named and with a rating for scent. I ordered 13 yesterday  - so much for saving money  - but I found a couple of D Austin roses for just €9 each and the rest were about €5 including Golden Celebration. They should be arriving after Christmas.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 03:36:30 AM »
Hi Fleur, Y

es I noticed the prices too in Thea's recommended site (my posting in this thread 29/11), an enormous difference compared to the average Italian price

Today's offering, the first of the 'Es' is 'Ecrins

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 05:06:05 AM »
Hi David,
I love this thread!
I couldn't find anything on 'Ecrins' but it looks a lot like the Hybrid Tea 'Elina'
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - Ecrins?
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Yes, it doesn't look quite like the rose shown by the German rose firm Poulsen named Ecrins, in their range of roses named after national parks - apparently Ecrins is named after this national park in the French Alps
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society