Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden

• 161 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
The Rose Garden in Rome is usually only open for 2 months of the year in late spring. This year it was open in autumn for a couple of weeks. I thought it might be useful if I posted the names and a photo of the 100 or so that were in flower in the autumn. This information could be a starting point for anybody looking for roses that will survive a mediterranean climate. The roses are laid out in a very exposed way so they have no shade from the sun and/or drying wind. I don't know how much summer water they get. I will take them in alphabetical order. There are around a hundred of them but the garden itself has many hundreds. I only took photos of those in flower.

To start the ball rolling here is 'Abbaye de Cluny'
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

Re: Roses for Mediterranean Climates - ones thriving at Rome Rose Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »
Beautiful colour!  It will take you sometime to post them all and we will certainly enjoy them. Every year Michalis at the Zygi nursery brings healthy plants with beautiful blooms.  They are grown in Northen Greece. We have tried a few and for the first two years they are fine.  They struggle if not given water in the summer. Maybe one  of your photos will match his and then I will give in again and buy it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:26:50 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
Interesting project David, shall look forward to your photos.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
David, this is such a good idea! Many thanks. As you can see, I've given it its own thread.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Here is 'Anastasia'
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
'Annelies' is today's rose.

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »
Great. I love the idea of a rose a day
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »
Me too. If I can not grow them I might as well admire them every day.  Thank you David.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
Any yellow or orange roses blooming on big plants? I’m re-doing my rose bed and that’s what I’d like to fill it with where I’m outing oleander and plumbago and lots of poly gala seedlings.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
For today we have 'Arthur Rimbaud'

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
Hi Fleur,

Looking through the photos I have I didn't find any truly orange ones. The following all have some pink hue as well as orange. Try 'Meilouvea', 'Lapural' and (one of my favourites) 'Morning Sun'. As for yellow, a little more luck here. 'Banzai', 'Judit', 'Marco Polo', 'Tequila', 'Solo Mio', 'Vendee Globe' and 'Spahi' might be of interest to you. I can't say anything about size as all the bushes are clipped to a uniform size in the garden. Photos of all the above will come up here as I get to them alphabetically but you could look them up on the internet in the meantime. Good luck with your replanting plans :-)

Charithea

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi Fleur.  We are also re organizing the side garden by  pulling out plants that have suffered the last two years from lack of water.  We are planning to use some succulents.  I have looked through the www.avramis.gr info@avramis.gr catalogue.  There are a few beautiful orange and yellow roses.  They might fit your colour scheme. Our 'Adreanna's perfum'  (dark velvety red) from Avramis,  has been performing well and is still alive. Good luck with your search.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
What a wonderful website! All the essential information  so quickly available even giving a scent rating out of 5. I noticed the prices too. A quarter of the price you would pay in Rome for a rose. For sure this would be a great supplier for Alisdair's European distribution list. If it isn't already on it, that is. Thanks :-)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 02:55:06 AM »
It's past midnight so I am justified in saying that today's rose is 'Balbo'

Caroline

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
Hi Fleur,
Have you thought about Rosa chinensis mutabilis?  I have three big bushes doing exceptionally well and the colour range might suit.  I don't really prune them, just let them romp away on a clay bank which i don't water.
Cheers 
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline