Moth

• 6 Replies

gertrude

Moth
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
Any moth experts out there? Searched our books and am unable to ID this one.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Moth
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
No expert Jan but it would seem like a Carpet Moth to me - they can be extremely variable according to my reference book. Despite name found in woods and hedgerows.......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
Definately not a carpet moth.  Its a real beauty, nothing like the ugly carpet moths.. 
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

John J

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
I am not a moth expert either and this is a complete shot in the dark but have a look at the November Moth Epirrita dilutata and see what you think.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

gertrude

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
No John - only thing the same is the shape, colouring completely different.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »
How big is it? The ' photo seems rather enlarged regarding the background.....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

gertrude

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
It is indeed enlarged,  moth is 2.5cms,  well spotted.

Jan