Kastori, Lakonia, Peloponnese, Greece

• 4 Replies

Hilary

Kastori, Lakonia, Peloponnese, Greece
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »
Kastori, Lakonia
In particular the Castor River Gorge.
We stopped in the village of Kastori first to admire the wide central road, lined with stone houses, and   the church at the end. It is a village we had passed through several times before but had never stopped
Then on to explore a small part of the Castor River Gorge.
This area had been flooded and had suffered some damage in the recent Medicane/Zorba at the end of September but to us it looked beautiful with the autumn leaves dropping from the Plane trees  and the Cyclamen flowers peeping through the Ivy covered hillside. Then what is this? There was a tiny white flower in the middle of the muddy path, which had been inundated with water a few weeks before, a Snowdrop, Galanthus reginae olgae. Then looking around we saw many groups of Snowdrops and quite a drift of them across the stream. We didn’t try crossing the wooden bridge as it might have been damaged during the storm.
We have been told that, in the season, the gorge hosts drifts of Lunaria annua, Honesty 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Kastori, Lakonia, Peloponnese, Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »
Beautiful place Hilary, thanks for sharing it through your lovely 'photos.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »
Absolutely lovely (we've now made a note of the place-name!)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:33 AM »
If we were to go to the Kastori Gorge again, from Sparta,  I think I would suggest that we take the 'New Road' as far as the Pellana turn off, thus avoiding all the twists and turns of the old road.
The Gorge is very near the village of Kastori
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks for that tip, Hilary!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society