Plant with leaves smelly when bruised ID'd by Charithea as Clerodendrum bungei

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
I took the photos in the dark with a flash which has altered the colours somewhat. The flowers are brighter pink and the leaves are darker green with a brown tint. The leaf stems are a reddish-browny colour. The plant is about 1m tall, just under, and is spreading through underground suckers. The bruised leaves have an unpleasant smell. Or at least it is unpleasant to me and reminds me of the same smell from another plant that I can't remember.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:38:55 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

Re: Can anyone identify this from these poor quality photos?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
David I think it is a Clerodendrum bungei but I will wait for other experts.  The leaves certainly have an unpleasant smell.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
Thanks Charithea. I think you are spot on. I wouldn't have known where to start looking.

I did send a photo of a related tree some time ago asking for help in identification. But in that case I had only seen the fruit and not the flowers and in that case also at night time. Oron identified it as C tricotomum. Perhaps it was the smell of those leaves which came to mind as I smelt the leaves of this Clerodendrum?

The plant I saw last night was growing in the street and I confess to taking a little rooted sucker cutting, There were lots of them radiating out from the plant. Let's see if it takes.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

David this plant is very tough and I am sure it will take.  Ours suffers in the summer heat, looses its leaves in the winter and re awakens in the spring.  It does not sucker as much as my favorite Clerodendrum Chinese.  I hate pulling the new plants out so I pot them up and give them to other gardeners.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.