Garden finds

• 8 Replies

John J

Garden finds
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:50:37 AM »
Our property was for decades, and maybe even centuries, part of a working farm and as such has gathered its share of discarded objects. Over the 50 years of our tenure we have unearthed a fair amount of broken glass, bits of smashed crockery,  lumps of unidentifiable metal, etc. Nothing of any significance or intrinsic value, unfortunately, but occasionally the odd item of nostalgic value. Yesterday I came across one of the small bottles in the photo. These used to contain rennet that was vital in turning the sheep and goat milk into haloumi cheese. The larger bottle that has STEMMA CREAM on the base held shoe polish. It was distributed by Paul Petroutsios & Son Ltd, a family concern that has been in business for over 100 years and is still distributing imported goods on the island. 
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Garden finds
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
I made a collection of 'finds' when creating the garden at our first house in Italy - a long abandoned farm dwelling. Like you I found nothing of ( monetary) value but it was fascinating to collect bits of broken pottery, pieces of weathered glass and bits of old tools etc. I left the pieces with the new owners because I felt they belonged with the house.
A good friend Gary, met through membership of the MGS, makes sculptures from old tools. Members who were part of the recent trip to Italy will have seen them during their visit to his garden. Perhaps we can get some photographs on the Forum?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
Carole I have taken photos of his art work but I am a bad photographer. I will see if any are reasonably clear and post them.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
You can see some of Gary's recycled-tools work on this page of his web site http://www.garyjogardenhire.com/welded-outdoor-and-cement-sculptures.html
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:57:20 AM »
Thanks David for that link - well worth a look at. Like Charithea my 'photos did not do justice to the pieces and so I was reluctant to post them.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Yes, thank you David for putting up the link to the web site. I looked at them and remembered them in different locations.  I have taken lots of photos but it was raining and some look dull.  However, I have decided to post three that are not included in  the website.   Not brilliant photos but I like the concept of the objects.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 06:19:59 AM »
I love ' Caroline and Simon' - on Gary's website they are photographed against a background that shows all their  details whilst in the garden they blend ( naturally) into the surrounding planting. My favourite has to be ' gardener' though......the rusty 'skeleton'  reminding me of how I feel after a long day in the garden!

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »
I love all his sculptures and wished  that I could have done some too in our garden.  I do have a youngish neighbour who would help me if I asked but there is little place left  available after my 'mosaics'.

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 05:24:28 AM »
All I found was lots and lots of skeletons and bones. Mainly cat and dog and chicken I think!
Daisy
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS