small evergreen shrub, somewhat Ficus-like, ID'd by JohnJ as Psidium cattleianum

• 8 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Any ideas?
This small shrub grows in a garden near the coast near Neo Chorio, western Cyprus.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:51:24 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: small evergreen shrub, somewhat Ficus-like...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
Mike, try Psidium cattleianum, Strawberry Guava.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

The first photo is our Strawberry Guava. The second is of a plant that we grew from seed collected in Crete about 8 years ago. It's much taller than the Strawberry Guava and produces larger, sweeter fruit. I haven't been able to positively identify it. The third photo is of our common guava. All photos taken today.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Excellent!
Thanks very much John, for the ID and the photos.

Now I have read-up on it...
The most invasive plant in Hawaii, and very attractive to fruit flies.
I'm guessing that in our drier climate it might not be quite such a problem, but I don't particularly want to foster fruit flies, or end up with a plant that demands water. So I think I'll leave it where it is for now (it will have to be removed as part of a renovation project) and I will also ignore the seeds.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Charithea

Mike our 'strawberry guave' has been surviving on little water, very tasty fruit and not fruit flies as yet. Enjoy the fruit for a bit and if they go 'rogue' pull them out.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Thanks John - invaluable first-hand experience, as ever; you may have convinced me // Mike
Mike

John J

Bit of a mixed bag of a day with Mike thanking me for advice that was supplied by my wife while my friend, Umbrian, accuses me of 'lurking' on a different thread!  :o

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Cheer up John - "tomorrow, tomorrow's another day..."

I guess the strawberry guava is an example of an alternative crop or food plant.
Perhaps wandering off-topic, this is in that same vein
- http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180821-are-forgotten-crops-the-future-of-food.
Thanks to my friend John Dobbie for pointing it out to me.

It is not particularly mediterranean, but my reason for mentioning it is the principle as much as the particular.

The article mentions in particular:
- kedondong berries - Spondias dulcis, also known as ambarella;
  tropical, probably not suitable for a mediterranean climate
- bambara groundnut - Vigna subterranea;
  tropical, and prefers acidic soil, methinks unsuitable for
  a mediterranean climate and many med. soils
- moringa - Moringa oleifera; 
   I have just started a new topic on this
   - http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=2641.0

Mike
Mike

Umbrian

• Email
Nice to see some humour on the Forum John! Have Gary coming today but fear we shall be lurking in the house as heavy storms started yesterday and are threatened all day today. Mustn't complain though - we need the rain.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.