Evolvulus

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Evolvulus
« on: August 26, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
A new plant to me - a rather sad looking specimen found at our local market attracted me with its solitary flower - beautiful clear blue colour. I planted and pampered it and within days it was flowering much more freely. Does anyone grow it? I think it will just be an annuual in our climate.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

Re: Evolvulus
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »
Carole I would have bought that flower too knowing that it wouldn't last long here.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
I would have bet my life that I wrote a similar message to yours Umbrian last year. Can't find it through the search facility so I obviously didn't. Evolvulus fared well until the rains came and it rotted away over the winter. Maybe keep it in a pot where you can keep it out of the winter rain/cold?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
My plant continues to flourish with many flowers and so I shall certainly lift it in the late autumn and try to save it because I know from experience that it is most unlikely I shall find it next year. I bought it from a local market trader who will have no recollection of the plant or where he obtained it probably!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.