Bee plant

• 1 Replies

John J

Bee plant
« on: April 17, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
A few days ago I was walking near our daughter's house when I came across a stand of plants by the side of the road that I had never seen before anywhere on the island. Their sky blue flowers really stood out. Closer inspection and research showed them to be Phacelia tanecetifolia, native to south-western USA and north-west Mexico. Apparently they are often used as an attractant for bees and other pollinating insects. Our daughter then remembered that the man who lived in the house adjacent to where the flowers were until 2 years ago used to keep bees.
Further research showed that they are regarded as naturalised in a small area of the Troodos Range between 800 and 1,000 metres. As this location is nowhere near the Troodos, or that altitude, it remains a mystery how they have escaped notice until now.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Bee plant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Interesting you should show this plant . Chantal has both Phacelia bolanderi and Phacelia campanularia on her seed list. I Got some of both and they have both germinated.  The campanularia has bolted and the seedlings are extremely delicate looking and seem so vunerable. Wish me luck.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.