Pink-flowered Salvia ID'd by Charithea and Fermi as Salvia coccinea 'Brenthurst'

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Earlier this year I bought several new Salvias and this one has been particularly pleasing not only producing a continuous display of flowers but also several self seeded plants, one of which has already started to flower. Unfortunately I have lost its label and wonder if anyone can provide me with a name?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:22:11 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
Hi Carole,
it looks a bit like a pink form of Salvia coccinea
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:21:10 AM by Alisdair »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

Re: Salvia ID
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
Hi Carole, I also think your salvia is a coccinea. I believe it is 'Brenthurst'.  I have the same one here.  I got the seeds from the Seed bank and it has been flowering almost all year.  I am using John's computer because my Ipad is having a tantrum. Charithea
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Salvia ID
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
Many thanks Fermi and Charithea - good to have the name when offering plants to friends.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Charithea and John kindly gave me some seed and it has come up for me but is yet to flower - my fault as I kept all the seedlings in a very small pot for a long time, Hoping for flowers soon. Thanks to you both for the seeds.

My main purpose in writing is to say to Umbrian to hold on to some of the seed, I have read that it is not hardy in our parts but that it is a variety of which the seeds come true. Hope that the first fact is not true and that the second one is. Let's see.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.