Old photos

• 3 Replies

John J

Old photos
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
Recently I came across some old photos that had been languishing in a drawer. Amongst them I found a couple that had been taken from outside our kitchen door. The first was taken in April 1997 when I returned to get the house ready for us to move into permanently, my wife was due to join me in the July when she had completed her contract as a teacher at a school in London. The second is of the area to the right, where the old clothesline used to be, and was taken around 2006 when our first grandchild came on the scene. I turfed it as a play area for him, and for his younger sister when she turned up. Once they outgrew it the turf was rapidly removed and it went through a number of incarnations, the current one being the third and fourth photos.
I apologise for the poor quality of the photos but they are scanned from old shots from the pre-digital age.
The first and second photos seem to have become switched over somehow and I am not technologically proficient enough to swap them back, sorry!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:49:02 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Old photos
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:23:05 AM »
Very interesting John especially to see how a garden can evolve and change according to needs. Although gardening now in a much smaller area I am nevertheless taking Into consideration the ongoing care and maintenance needed as the ever advancing years take their toll and am avoiding subjects that need constant care. One good example being Clematis armandii that I love but that does need such care if it is not to become a tangled overgrown mess with unsightly dead leaves spoiling the effect for large parts of the year. The opportunity to grow different things is endless however and adds to the pleasure as I am sure you will agree.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Fascinating John; thanks very much!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »
I know exactly what you mean, Carole. It's a constant battle between being seduced by some new, interesting plant and finding out what its needs are with regard to maintenance and care issues. We are also trying to reduce the work involved in maintaining our plot, not always with the greatest of success I'm sorry to say.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)