IDd as Melicytus novae-zelandiae or Coastal Mahoe

• 19 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Shrub
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
That's the best I can come up with. Happy enough to go with that for now.
Like you, I would like to see a few photos to help confidence (photos of all the species of Melicytus, not just M. novae-zelandiae; there are some others I haven't found.)

Thanks, John, for posting this photo. Interesting for me to see such Viola-relatives.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

pamela

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
Hello John ...was I right ...was it a Mahoe????
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 12:03:32 AM »
Well Pamela we seem to have decided it is probably Coastal Mahoe which I think the information I found said it was restricted to coastal areas of northern North Island.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
Did the flowers, being such diminuitive characters, have a fragrance?
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

John

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »
I honestly can't remember. I suspect either not or not necessarily lovely!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.