Narcissus elegans ?

• 9 Replies

gertrude

Narcissus elegans ?
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:46:12 PM »
ISilly me,  think I may have put this in the wrong subject earlier,  so this is another attempt to get an identification.

These narcissus are flowering in a field opposite our house and according to my wild flower books I believe they are Narcissus elegans , but then I read that they flower in the Autumn? so I am confused.
The petals which fold back are 1 -1.5cms and the the flower approx  3cms wide.  See photo
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:48:15 PM by gertrude »
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

JTh

• Email
Re: Narcissus elegans ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
I believe it is Narcissus tazetta, in spite of the books saying that they flower in the winter (October - March). I found some clumps of daffodils that looked exactly like yours yesterday, they were growing at the edge of grazing area for sheep and goats. I wondered if they were garden escapes, but maybe not, its 'said to be  a widespread species, native to the Mediterranean region from Portugal to Turkey.

P4109374.jpg Narcissus tazetta
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

IMG_20180410_130450-2.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

gertrude

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »
OK, after much searching I think I found a way to reply.

Dont think your photos are of same species as mine.  The ones I have seen have definable pointed petals as seen more clearly in the attached photo.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:31:11 AM »
Do they have a strong scent?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

gertrude

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
They have a lovely perfume but would not describe as 'strong'.  Not like usual narcissus smell.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
Jan, I've put a message on the original thread (catching up after a fortnight away), before seeing this. I'm pretty sure your plants are Narcissus tazetta. Its petals can be pointed (especially in the subsp. italicus), and can be reflexed.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
It is Narcissus tazetta ssp. tazetta.  Many of the population have these reflected pointed petals.
Narcissus tazetta has an autumnal flowering form which blooms as early as October mainly in south Greece (Peloponnese) and the eastern mediterranean. The winter/spring form satrts in January - March -(April).

In marche you have also N. tazetta ssp. italicus but this seems to be a wrong name given to a natural hybrid between Narcissus papyraceus and Narcissus tazetta. Both growing in Marche.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
Thanks, Oron!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »
I wondered if it could be Narcissus canaliculatus? It is difficult to judge the scale of growth from the pictures shown.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:16:37 AM by Alisdair »
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
Nowadays N. canaliculatus isn't reckoned to be really distinct from N. tazetta - the taxonomists rate that old name as synonymous - so no wonder you wondered, that, Trevor! (And thanks, by the way, for all your other helpful recent comments, too)
Alisdair Aird