Salvia ' Oceania Blue'

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Salvia ' Oceania Blue'
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:35 AM »
Think you will love this Salvia Charithea - given to me by a friend visiting from the UK last year. I was unsure if it had survived our harsher than usual winter and was delighted when it burst into to growth again.  The first flowers seem an even more beautiful and intense blue than I remember.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

Re: Salvia ' Oceania Blue'
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
You are right Carole. I love the colour.  Our own Salvia is a darker blue and was labeled 'Oceana Blue'.  I think someone had mixed up the names in the shop.  We saw your 'Oceana Blue' in a beautiful earthenware pot in Torrechia Vecchia . Sonia and I decided we had to have one.  I have bought 8 Salvias from Essenze di Lea on this trip.   Two of them have a colour almost the same as the 'Oceana Blue'. One is Salvia patens 'guanajuanto' and the other is Salvia 'Cambridge Blue'.  I have taken photos of the Salvias but they are on my Ipad which is at my niece's house.  I was forced to farm out my belongings so I could carry extra plants I got from Greece.  I was a walking Botanic Garden.  Pictures will follow and' thank you' to the appropriate people too.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Charithea

Re: Salvia ' Oceania Blue'
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
I have been reunited with my Ipad so here are the pictures I' ve promised.  One of the pot with the Salvia 'Oceana blue' in Torrechia Vecchia  the rest are the new additions to our Salvia collection. Once more, I asked David Dickinson for his assistance to order and post the plants to our hotel in Bolognia.  Thank you David. They arrived in the boxes on Monday morning,  that you see in the photos.  I was relieved to see them because on Friday afternoon on our arrival in the city there was a rail strike in Bolognia and I imagined my plants would stay behind. I was also worried how to carry them unharmed to Cyprus.   The problem was solved when my niece bought a handbag, shoes plus a pair of Trousardi jeans and we were given a Large carrier bag. The large carrier bag was not big enough to house the additional Hedyciums that were delivered to me by Fleur at Athens airport. We exchanged carrier bags and the plants arrived safe in Cyprus. At Larnaca airport a lady asked me why I was carrying so many plants. Couldn't i find them in Cyprus? I informed her sadly No and that I had such failure with seeds because of the early heatwave so I did the next best thing by buying the plants. Thank you Fleur also for the Montanoa grandiflora.  It is still alive.  The Hedycium coronarium has a bandage on as it got slightly damaged.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:13:29 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.