Gardening therapy

• 1 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Gardening therapy
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
Yesterday I hosted a therapy session for a group of breast cancer sufferers. Volunteers work with them through the local hospital and a friend of mine is Involved. She thought that having a "gardening" session might be good and suggested they could each plant up a small pot to take home and care for. I was more than happy to help as as think gardening is very good for easing the strains of modern life....even if it does bring its own aches and pains, especially with increasing years!
We were blessed with a fine sunny day after much stormy weather and eleven ladies came. A large table was set up on our back terrace area, compost prepared in  large bins at either end, crocks for drainage.  Assorted sea washed pebbles, pieces of glass and pottery plus small pieces of driftwood were available for those who wished to enhance the planting.
I think it was a great success as many of the ladies obviously had some experience of gardening - ' orto' - vegetable gardening at least and were happy to be involved again  on a smaller scale now no longer with the energy to work as before.
They also showed a great interest in my planting especially the large selection of ornamental Salvias that I encouraged them to touch and smell.  I think they went away happy, clutching their pots and I hope that caring for them and seeing them grow will give them renewed hope. I also gave each one of them a small pot and six Acidanthera
bulbs so that they could watch the shoots appear and hopefully reward them with beautifully scented flowers later in the summer.
A tiring but pleasurable day.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Gardening therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
Great idea, Carole, well done. Maybe something we can pass on to the MGS AC for consideration regarding suggesting the Branches investigate similar projects in their areas? What do other members think?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)