Malvaviscus arboreus

• 2 Replies

Hilary

Malvaviscus arboreus
« on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:47 AM »
Malvaviscus arboreus, Turk’s Cap

This red flowering bush was growing in a small garden in Corinth where there were a couple of rose bushes and a Norfolk Pine.
I used to think how good it would be to take a cutting and grow it in a pot but resisted the temptation. However, other people were too tempted and the branches of the bush hanging over the railings soon became ragged and torn. I used to be sad to see the bush so ill-treated and sorry that people would do this.
Then one day I found the house and garden bulldozed over and no sign of either house or garden. Recently a small building has been erected on the triangular plot.
Then I began to notice several bushes of Turk’s Cap on balconies around the town and can only suppose they were created from the torn off “cuttings”.
 I wonder if the original bush and roses bushes were saved from the bulldozer

So did they save the bush or were they vandals?

I must say there is also the possibility that the local plant nursery could have been selling Turk’s Cap at the time.

In the latest THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, number 92, April 2018   Caroline Harbouri writes about her plant
A BLAZE OF SCARLET IN WINTER:
MALVAVISCUS ARBOREUS
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

Re: Malvaviscus arboreus
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »
Hi Hilary. I would say they are vandals. I am always happy to give away cuttings, I am also happy to grow them on for them but I am unhappy to have bits torn off.  It brought to mind a Pelagonium graveolens we had years ago when we lived in town. It was a beautiful specimen but passers by would tear bits off. The offenders were mainly females because they were using it to flavour their 'gliko'. The poor thing gave up and died. We have another one in our garden  now BUT  only I can cut bits for visitors.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Malvaviscus arboreus
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:22:27 AM »
Can sympathise with your experience Charithea having suffered that kind of vandalism when having open garden days on the past. True gardeners usually asked whilst more casual visitors seemed to think such such behaviour one of the perks of the visit! In Hilary's case I suppose we can say they did indeed save a doomed plant.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.