Hemerocallis

• 2 Replies

John J

Hemerocallis
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »
During the week we visited our favourite nursery in Cyprus and found one plant of a double-yellow-flowered Hemerocallis. I have no idea which one it is.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Hemerocallis
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:51:45 AM »
A few years ago we acquired bulbs of a couple of Hemerocallis hybrids, with the fanciful names of 'My Reggae Tiger' and 'Wild Horses'. After flowering the first year the Tigers never returned. However the Horses, despite being designated as Wild, seem to have become domesticated.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Hemerocallis
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
That's lovey John and an amusing comment re the name! I bought a lovely one the other year 'Kate's White' - it only had  one flowering stem last year and this year nothing although the plant has increased in size and looks healthy. Such are the trials of gardening.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.