Pancratium maritimum

• 25 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »
I want to confirm that Pancratium maritimum is a fascinating plant, and the most amazing thing about it is its heavenly SCENT! We find this plant on the beaches, near the Rhône delta, in July and August; just to inhale the fresh, kind-of-daffodil-but-more-exquisite perfume is to experience a rare epiphany. It's our reward for having to walk a long way in the hot sand dunes in order to rediscover the plants where they appeared the previous years.
On a scale of 10, for the most delightful fragrance, I would rate Pancratium maritimum a 9+.
And Hedychium gardnerianum, now in bloom in my garden, would rate 7.
Is there a discussion of fragrances on the MGS forum?

As Carole has reminded me, the correct answer to Jean's question is "Yes!" So I've moved his original posting from this thread, to the thread on Scented plants in the Miscellaneous section - you can find it by clicking here. Do join in - what are your favourite (or most hated) plant fragrances?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:46:58 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
Our Pancratium has sent up 4 flower spikes this year and the first of them has opened today, almost exactly a year to the day since the first ones opened last year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:54 AM »
My newly acquired Pancratium maritimum flowered successfully a few weeks ago and I was amazed at the size and intricacy of the flowers  - also by the fact they flowered on such short stalks. I thought that might be because I had not planted them in a sufficiently deep pot but it would appear to be normal judging by your 'photo John.(much better than mine I have to add!) Anyway I was thrilled by my success and happy to be introduced to this amazing plant through the Forum
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
Oops! Seem to have forgotten the 'photo - hopefully here it is....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
On a visit to the island of Kythira off the south tip of the Peloponnese on the last weekend of September we were rewarded by the sight of hundreds of Pancratium maritimum. Re-reading the previous posts they seem to be blooming a lot later than elsewhere.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 06:07:47 AM »
Our Pancratium is continuing its tradition of flowering in early August. These are some of the first blooms this year, with many more forming.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
It's really excelling itself this year.

John J

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
True to form, it's 14 August and the first flower has opened on our Pancratium.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
It is lovely.

I have fancied having one for years, but have not taken seed from wild populations heareabouts.

Fortunately, in one rubbishy corner of some communal gardens that I manage, I recently found one of these plants, in full flower.
...and with some seed pods starting to fatten :)
I shall have some of those seeds!

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 06:03:37 AM »
Our Pancratium maritimum are continuing their tradition of flowering in early August.

Hilary

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
beautiful
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care