Salvia 'Love and Wishes'

• 7 Replies

John J

Salvia 'Love and Wishes'
« on: June 02, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »
Among the plants that my wife brought back from the MGS trip to Umbria was one of the above. Thank you, Sonia. It had to be cut back to fit into her hand luggage which meant losing all its flowers. It has already begun to grow again, however, and is even producing more flowers.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Salvia 'Love and Wishes'
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »
A friend  brought me a 'Love and Wishes' Salvia from the UK two years ago. It grew and grew and flowered prolifically throughout the summer. Being unsure of its hardiness I took cuttings that rooted well and now I have several. I find it is better when not placed in positions where it is in full sun throughout the day. Useful in pots as a centre piece as it fills out rapidly and flowers well on new growth.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
Thank you very much for the advice Carole.  I intend to take cuttings once it gets fuller.  I have had such wonderful success with David's 'Anthony Parker' that I donated one to the Cyprus Botanic Garden in Troodos and  one to Yiannos Orphanos my mentor when it comes to rare Cyprus plants.  I am posting a photo I took this morning of my strong Salvia 'Anthony Parker'  next to my Love and Wishes.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
Hoping to post two 'photos of 'Love and Wishes' both cuttings from my original plant.
One growing in a hot position in full sun most of the day and the other in a cooler position where it is only in sun for a short time. The colour of the flowers is very different as I am hoping will be apparent in the 'photos . The leaves on the one in shade are much healthier too.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
Should add that both 'photos were taken this morning in dull conditions - overcast sky with no sun. Pleased to see the colour difference is apparent!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
Very interesting, Carole; thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
Carole I prefer the darker colour Love and Wishes.  After reading your post I relocated the pot into the more shaded part of the house.  The front verandah.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:03 AM »
Me too Charithea, my original plant was situated in a shadier position where it grew and bloomed prolifically, always attracting compliments regarding the dusky colour of the flowers. I quite like the brighter, pinky flowers of the one in sun but it does seem like a different plant and the leaves, being a paler green and mottled and obviously suffering from over exposure to the sun, are nowhere near as effective as a foil to the flowers.
Good move I would say!