Yucca whipplei?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Yucca whipplei?
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
I have always assumed that it is. Does anybody grow it and, if so, does it really die after flowering? I have had the plant for over 10 years and this is the first year that it has flowered. Mine has 3 baby plants that are suckering from the parent. Should I cut these off before the parent dies or will they grow on without interference from me?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Yucca whipplei?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
Hello David

It is not Hesperoyucca whipplei syn. Yucca whipplei but Yucca filamentosa.
The morphology of the flower indicates it quite clearly.
Yucca filamentosa when grown in a small pot tends to develop a woody stem with time.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Yucca whipplei?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Thanks Oron. The plant hasn't died after flowering, or at least not yet. Now I know the exact species I can do a little more research. As always, very grateful for the identifications you give us :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.