Old friends

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Old friends
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
On Thursday I was lucky to be at a friend's house when the current MGS trip to Central Italy visited his garden. After many days of unsettled weather the sun shone until....an hour before the scheduled visit black clouds gathered and thunder began to rumble.
Sure enough by the time the party arrived it was raining steadily and the temperature had plummeted. Undeterred however a conducted of the garden was accomplished with the aid of umbrellas before shelter was sought in the house and the usual lively conversation about what they had seen filled the rooms. I was thrilled to meet up with several old  friends, made through my membership when  participating in similar holidays, reliving past times and catching up current activities. Membership of the MGS has brought me in contact with so many like minded people so, a big ' thank you' MGS!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Old friends
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:17:30 AM »
I do wish that Helena and I could have been there, Carole! But I'm sure we'll catch up with you sometime somewhere... soon.  8)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:27:39 AM »
Hello Carole.  It was a wonderful afternoon.  I managed to take some photos of Gary's Art Work.  Maybe something can be copied! The Salvia cuttings have been already re-potted. Thank you.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
Hi Carole, I can only endorse my wife's comment that it was a wonderful afternoon. The rain didn't really spoil it for us as it was such a refreshing change from the weather we are used to. It was a great pleasure to ferry the 'Pineapple Broom' up from Frascati for you after David had brought it to our hotel from Rome. Just another example of the bond that exists between true gardeners and is embodied in the members of the MGS. We had never met David, except through the Forum, and it was a great pleasure to do so on this occasion. I have to admit that it was a great temptation to lose the plant in my suitcase as it has been on my Want One list for many years and I have been unable to acquire a healthy specimen such as that one was. I'm sure it will do well with you and you can think of how jealous I am every time you smell that fantastic scent! Here's to meeting up again soon, with not such a big gap as this was.
PS. The seedling is Cyprinia gracilis, you can see a nameplate photo under Climbers (Cyprinia gracilis) on this Forum.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)